Divya Sharma is a Fellow of the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, and is working as Assistant Professor, IT & Decision Sciences at Jindal Global Business School. She is the recipient of the Satish K Sehgal Doctoral Student Award (2018) for excellence in scholarship and organizational citizenship at IIM Calcutta. After completing her doctoral studies in the area of Management Information Systems, she started her academic journey at the Indian Institute of Management Rohtak, where she worked for more than two years.
Prior to her doctoral studies, she has also worked for four years with public, as well as, private organizations. She served in the capacity of Scientific Officer at the National Informatics Centre (Govt. of India) where she was responsible for various technology and policy aspects of her project. She also worked as Computer Scientist in Belzabar Software Design India Pvt. Ltd. She holds a Bachelor of Technology degree from National Institute of Technology Hamirpur.
She has developed and offered post-graduate courses on Digital Innovation and Transformation, Data Science, System Dynamics, and Digital Business Models. She has also taught doctoral courses on Foundational Theories in Information Systems and Computational Techniques for Theory Building.
Her research explores the sociomaterial underpinnings of everyday life, especially from the perspectives of algorithmic governance, digital inclusion, and regulation. She primarily draws theoretical inspiration from Science and Technology Studies and uses qualitative research methods for enquiry. She is also adept at using computational approaches for analysis.
Scholarly Journal Articles
- Gupta, A., Mateen, A., Sharma, D., Sarkar, U. K., & Cheruvil Thomas, V. (2019). Combating incumbency advantage of network effects: The role of entrant’s decisions and consumer preferences. Competition and Regulation in Network Industries, 20(1), 3-32. (ABDC B)
- Jain, A., & Sharma, D. (2018). Workarounds and social support: the saviors for visually impaired bankers in India. Journal of Information, Communication and Ethics in Society, 16(2), 138-156. (ABDC B)
- Sharma, D., Gupta, A., Mateen, A., & Pratap, S. (2018). Making sense of the changing face of Google’s search engine results page: an advertiser’s perspective. Journal of Information, Communication and Ethics in Society, 16(1), 90-107. (ABDC B)
- Sharma, D., Saha, B., & Sarkar, U. K. (2016). Affordance Lost, Affordance Regained, and Affordance Surrendered: The Becoming of Reachability on Social Media Platforms. In Beyond Interpretivism? New Encounters with Technology and Organization: IFIP WG 8.2 Working Conference on Information Systems and Organizations, IS&O 2016 (pp. 73–89).
- Sharma, D., & Saha, B. (2018). Multi-spatiality of Social Media Platforms: The Enactment of Trust in Fluid Space. International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) 2017. Seoul, South Korea.
- Sharma, D., Saha, B., & Sarkar, U. K. (2016). Bridging the distance: The agencement of complex affordances on social media platforms. International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) 2016. Dublin, Ireland.
- Sharma D., Gupta A., & Sarkar U. K. (2015). Challenging the Incumbent: The Impact of Product Quality and Network Effects. Proceedings of the 23rd European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2015). Münster, Germany.
- Sharma, D., Pinjala, S., & Sen, A. K. (2014). Correction of data-Flow errors in workflows. Proceedings of the 25th Australasian Conference on Information Systems (ACIS) 2014. Auckland, New Zealand.
- Sharma, D., Alam A., Dasgupta P., & Saha D. (2013). A Ranking Algorithm for Online Social Network Search. Proceedings of the 6th ACM India Computing Convention (Compute). Vellore, India.
- Sharma R., Sood M., & Sharma D. (2011). Modeling Cloud SaaS with SOA and MDA. International Conference on Advances in Computing and Communications. Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Sharma D., Gupta A. and Tripathi A. (2010). A two level message adaptive steganographic approach. IEEE International Conference on Advances in Computer Engineering (ACE). Bangalore, India.
- Jain A., Kommu R.V., Sharma D. (2019). ‘Kafkaesque’ experiences of visually impaired bankers in India. 35th European Group for Organizational Studies Colloquium (EGOS 2019). Edinburgh, United Kingdom.
- Sharma D., Gupta A., Jain A. (2019). Democratization as a sociotechnical affordance: Inclusion of the vision impaired through open source software. MCHV-INAIS Workshop on “Being (more) Human in a Digitised World”. Calcutta, India.
- Sharma D., and Saha B. (2017). Social Media Affordances: From Critical Realism to Process Philosophy. IFIP WG8.2 Organizations and Society in Information Systems (OASIS) Workshop. Seoul, South Korea.
- Jain A., & Sharma D. (2017). Making my way: A study on workarounds and social support among Visually Impaired bankers in India. 77th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management. Atlanta, GA, USA.
- Sharma, D., Pratap, S., Gupta, A., & Mateen, A. (2017). Avoiding Competence Trap: A Micro-Foundational Analysis of Capability Development in a Network. 33rd European Group for Organizational Studies Colloquium (EGOS 2017). Copenhagen, Denmark. (to be presented)
- Ghosh, A., Gupta, A., Sharma, D., & Sarkar, U. K. (2016). WebSelect: A Research Prototype for Optimizing Ad Exposures based on Network Structure. Workshop on Information Technology and Systems (WITS). Dublin, Ireland.
- Sharma, D., Gupta, A., & Mateen, A. (2016). Analyzing the New Google Search Results Page: A Netnographic Approach. International Conference on Marketing Technology and Society (Marconf2016). Kozhikode, India,
- Singh, A., & Sharma D. (2014). Understanding Consumption Patterns in Mobile Social Network Games. MARCON 2014. Calcutta, India.
- Sharma, D. and Gupta A. (2009). A Message Adaptive Steganographic Approach. A Conference on Technical Advancement and Computational Techniques in Electrical Engineering. Hamirpur, India.